Posts for tag: Veneers
Do you wish your smile was more attractive? Thin restorations called veneers may offer the ideal solution to your smile issues. Your East Lansing, MI, dentist, Dr. Thomas Faiver, can help you improve your appearance with veneers.
Have an imperfection? Hide it with a veneer
Veneers conceal imperfections and flaws under a thin layer of porcelain. No thicker than a fingernail, the restorations look just like tooth enamel and feel completely natural. Veneers are attached to the fronts of your teeth with dental cement and are used to hide flaws and change the shape and length of your teeth.
Unlike some cosmetic options, veneers don't require extensive changes to your teeth. In fact, your dentist may only need to remove a tiny amount of enamel before you receive your restorations.
Veneers can help you improve your appearance if you have any of these flaws
Veneers provide an excellent way to keep flaws hidden and are often used to:
- Eliminate Annoying Gaps Between Teeth: Closing the gaps between your teeth can be as simple as taking advantage of veneers. Veneers are a good option if you have slight gaps. Large gaps may require orthodontic treatment.
- Lengthen Teeth: A few short teeth can make your smile look uneven. Veneers help you ensure that all of your teeth are the same length.
- Improve Tooth Shape: It only takes one oddly shaped tooth to disrupt the symmetry of your smile. Veneers improve the shape of twisted, crooked and other unusually shaped teeth.
- Conceal Discolorations: Do you have one tooth that's darker than the others due to trauma, tetracycline use or another issue? Thanks to your new veneer, your discolored tooth will now look like all of your other teeth.
- Hide Imperfections: Wear and tear can cause chips and shallow cracks in the fronts of your teeth. Unfortunately, this type of minor damage is very noticeable. Veneers cover common tooth flaws, helping you boost your smile.
- Keep Your Smile Bright and White: Veneers offer long-term whitening benefits. They're available in any shade of white you want, won't stain and will last 10 to 15 years or longer.
Transform your smile with veneers. Call your dentist in East Lansing, Dr. Faiver, at (517) 351-7722 to schedule your appointment.
If you’ve never had restorative work performed at a dentist’s office, you might be wondering how it works. What happens when you get veneers? How long does it take for the dentist to complete this procedure? Is there anything that a patient should know before and after the dentist appointment? Here are some answers to common questions that patients have about getting veneers at the East Lansing MI office of Dr. Thomas G. Faiver.
Before Getting Veneers
Before you can get dental veneers, your dentist must thoroughly check your dental health and ensure that your teeth are strong enough to successfully support veneers. You’ll have to get a set of x-rays, a visual exam and possibly a dental cleaning before getting cleared for his procedure. Your dentist will advise you on how many veneers you will need to achieve your desired look. Your dentist will also go over other options that you have for fixing your dental concern, such as braces or a crown, so that you can make an informed decision.
The Preparation Appointment
Once you are cleared for veneers by your East Lansing MI dentist, the first step is to prepare each tooth in the treatment plan. The dentist must remove a small amount of tooth material so that the veneer (usually made of porcelain) will bond securely to the surface. After the tooth is properly prepared, the dentist takes an impression of each tooth so that permanent veneers can be fabricated by a lab technician.
The Bonding Appointment
The next and final appointment that you’ll attend is to install your permanent veneers. The dentist uses a professional-grade dental cement to bond each wafer-thin veneer to the tooth’s surface. A curing light hardens and secures the bond. After a bit of sculpting and polishing, you’re ready to see your new smile.
After Getting Veneers
It’s a smart idea to schedule a checkup appointment with your East Lansing MI dentist several weeks after getting veneers. After that, with good care you can expect to have your new smile for 10 years or longer. Maintain good at-home habits (brushing and flossing) and schedule biannual checkup appointments.
Get Started with Dr. Faiver
The process of getting new veneers is really very simple once you get started. Call Dr. Faiver today at (517) 351-7222 to schedule an initial consultation and get the process going. He has been serving the East Lansing MI area with exceptional dental care for over 30 years.